Thursday, February 28

A Lone Wolf!

Of course, I prefer you in flesh and blood, as any man who is at all alive should. Surprised? As coming from a man who always wanted to go it alone, asked only one thing of the world, to leave him alone. How I prided myself on being a lone wolf! – fiery if not fierce. I regarded it as the hallmark of a man who was destined for great things: his genius. But excellence is not to be looked for in the mountains, or in the deserts, far away from the busy haunts of man, but right here, in the middle of this flesh and blood world which I have been despising until now. I have been given so much, so often, but I squandered it all away, not knowing that life is a gift from the gods who ask of us only one thing in return, that we live it to the fullest. A sinner, my sin was not against those higher gods who rule in the heavens but against the lesser gods of the hearth...

Even at that hour when the grey sky of St. Petersburg is shrouded in total darkness and all its race of officials have dined and sated the...